Thursday, April 23, 2009

Maurice Boland Show

Just think: two days ago I was a complete unknown. I’d successfully written my memoirs and had them published by a proper publishing house that actually paid me real money instead of sending me invoices and Final Demand letters every month. But then what?

My book ‘Recollections of a Racketeer’ has been out almost two weeks and nothing has happened. I’ve checked the New York Times Review of Books, and The Guardian, the Economist, Loaded, The New Statesman, The News of the World – nothing in any of them – nothing, nowt, nada, zilch!

I’ve even got a bloomin' blog for goodness sake!

I have not been invited to any sophisticated publisher’s parties; I have not been approached by any attractive and sensual literary-groupies – or even ugly ones with hairy legs. I was beginning to feel that maybe, my wife’s fears of my literary success and the glamour of being a published author was all a myth.

But then Costa del Sol’s Talk Radio Europe called and invited me on the Maurice Boland Show. Now my name is being bandied about in every bar between Barcelona and Benidorm. I return from my interview, too giddy to continue, too excited to write a word more. Despite the guilt, I must abandon my Followers until tomorrow – forgive me – the cooking sherry calls. [More tomorrow]

1 comment:

  1. I have had the opportunity to read "Recollections of a Racketeer." It is a fascinating true story that will at times make you laugh out loud and also contemplate if you are truly living life to its fullest. The fact that the story is true, will at times, have you shake your head in disbelief and read portions of it over again. It is an outstanding book.

    ReplyDelete